Free Tools: Secue Password Generator
There’s many a time you’re required to come up with a secure password at short notice, and there are many tools to do this.
There is a vendor in firmly entrenched in the password security market who has made a powerful yet flexible password generator that also guarantees the privacy of your newly generated password.
Web based, Thycotic’s Generate a Password
- Password length – anywhere from 6 to 64 characters
- Include Symbols – contain special characters including but not limited to !@#$
- Include lowercase
- Include UPPERCASE
- Exclude Duplicate Characters – will not repeat a character anywhere in the password
- Exclude Similar – excludes characters that can be confused when reading, like I(INDIGO) l(lima) 1(one), o(oscar) O(OSCAR) 0(zero) etc
- Include specific characters – this is useful if the system you are generating a password for disallows some special characters, but you still wish to include allowable characters. In this case you would deselect Include Symbols, and instead populate the allowable characters in this field (I’ve included an example of this in the figure above)
This tools is a glimpse at the powerful password generation capabilities of Thycotic’s flagship Secret Server product.
In Secret Server, you can create password rules with capabilities even greater than those detailed above, and applied by policy to different sets of accounts, and even rotated automatically to a schedule or on demand.
Secret Server conducts a routine network scan and discovers an administrator account on a new laptop. Secret Server ingests the account, generates a new secure password based on a password rule created to satisfy the enterprise password policy based on the laptops OU, and using a service account changes the password on the laptop for that account. Finally it checks the password is working by attempting to connect to the C$ admin share of that target, before updating it’s record for that account on that machine in the Secret Server database.
Check out Secret Servers many features at https://thycotic.com/products/secret-server/